Painting by Alfred J. Miller (1858)

Fort Laramie

The fort was begun by fur traders as Fort William in 1834 where the North Platte and Laramie rivers meet. In 1849, the U.S. Military purchased the fort and named it in honor of Jacques La Ramie, a local French fur trapper.

One of the most important forts in the settlement of the American West, Fort Laramie served many functions throughout its history. It was located along the Oregon Trail to protect and supply emigrant wagon trains. It later became a major link in the Pony Express, Overland Stage and transcontinental telegraph systems. It also served as a base of operations for the High Plains Indian Wars.

Since 1937 it has been preserved as a National Monument and is maintained by the National Park Service.


Above, a modern view of the fort.
Photo courtesy of Fort Laramie State Historic Site, Wyoming Division of Tourism

Left, an interior view of the fort from a painting by Alfred J. Miller (1858).

| Independence | Courthouse Rock | Chimney Rock | Fort Laramie | Independence Rock | Fort Bridger |
| Soda Springs | Fort Hall | Fort Boise | Whitman Mission | The Dalles | Oregon City |